Friday, April 27, 2007

Collins Kids

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on this era of Americana - count me as more of a fan - but the Collins Kids strike me as pretty damn out there for the time. First of all, Lorrie Collins is like 15 or something, playing guitar and belting out the tunes at the same time like it's no big deal. Lorrie Collins, wherever you are - you rule!

And then there's Larry... there's something a little unsettling to me about him, but in the end, you just can't resist the little guy. His sheer joyful enthusiasm and his amazing virtuosity always wins me over.



There are quite a few Collins Kids videos on YouTube - I recommend you check them all out. You gotta love this first one, "Hoy Hoy Hoy," - I especially love the opening credits for Tex Ritter's Ranch Party.



I like this second one, a performance of "High School Confidential," because it feels very impromptu and gritty. Lorrie really lets loose and Larry's got a great solo where he shows off some wild dance moves.

At first glance, the Collins Kids appear to straddle the line between novelty act and authentic teen garage band. Closer examination tells me they were the real deal - cool American rockabilly kids leading the way, setting the example for how to rock out. We love you Collins Kids!

No comments: