Saturday, November 26, 2011

Kitschmas Trees


Okay, now that we've got Thanksgiving out of the way we can move on to the main attraction - Christmas.

Christmas has a rich history of kitsch. I mean, the trappings of modern Christmas are almost entirely made up of kitsch. It's practically an annual celebration of kitsch. And I say this as someone who loves Christmas in every sense.

For me, few things sum up Kitschmas - the kitschy side of Christmas - like artificial Xmas trees. Or is it that I love old photos of fake Christmas trees? Actually, yeah, I think it's the photos. The best have a certain atmosphere and aura to them that is amusing, but also quite beautiful in their way.

I like the boy and his father - as if they're out in some snowy landscape looking for the perfect tree to cut down and drag back to the family farmhouse. Should they pick 2, 3 or 4?


No comments: